Missouri Death Records
Missouri Death Records maintained by County Vital Records Registrars and Missouri Health Department's Vital Records Bureau are not public records.
- Only authorized persons (such as employees of Vital Records Registrars or Missouri Vital Records Bureau) may inspect or copy Death Records under
Section 193.245 RSMo.
- Only persons identified in Missouri Code of State Regulations, 19 CSR 10- 10.090 Access to Vital Records (pages 9-10) may apply for copies of a Missouri Certificate of Death.
- False Application for a Death
Certificate Copy is a Class D Felony under Section 193.315 RSMo.
- Walk-In Customer Alert- As of 02.28.2011, the Missouri Department of Health requires Photo Identification with Walk-In Application. The St. Louis City Recorder and Registrar has always required photo identification.
You must have a valid Driver's License, State Identification Card, or other acceptable government issued photo identification to apply for a Missouri Death Certificate copy in person.
Your address on Application (copy request form) must match your address on photo identification.
If you do not have photo identification, a qualified family member with photo identification may apply for the copy.
- Mail-In Customer Alert- As of 02.28.2011, the Missouri Department of Health requires notarization of your signature on the Mail-In Application.
The St. Louis City Recorder and Registrar is prohibited from changing, correcting, or amending a Missouri Death Certificate. Please contact the appropriate office:
Change or Correct a Death Certificate
Contact Vital Records Bureau
P.O. Box 570, Jefferson City, MO 65102